Thursday, June 7, 2007

Slowing Down

Ive been thinking about this...I met with a friend yesterday, (my hellerworker friend Aimee- whos been such a wonderful support over the past few years), she reminded me of one of the sessions we did a while ago about walking. In NY I find myself racing at times walking so fast keeping in time with the pace or maybe running with it - during that session she said what if you slowed down kept with your own pace kept with your line head up and skyhook attached up - when I left her office that day I noticed how wonderful I felt its like the city was slow, my pace. When I would speed up I was trying to catch up and I felt stressed mentally and physically my alignment would shift my hip would hurt my feet would become tired quickly.

The past few days since Ive returned Ive felt that again, that racing feeling...I spent today focusing on slowing down connecting up when walking and it became more of this flow down the street, things quieted down, traffic slowed down and things came to me quietly and peacefully. My stride was even and balanced my body was open to receive.

I want to allow things to come to me and not race after them. When I race after something it seems to go farther and farther in the distance ahead and I am stuck always trying to catch up...When I practice this meditative walking I allow the world to come to me. I feel engaged and calm. Things here take on my needs, my flow, my time...

5 comments:

Joy! said...

Sounds like shamanic walking-in the city. Urban shamanism 101-Good work!

As to the rushing and moving towards or away-it's all about the BE and the NOW. The rest is illusion-as you just pointed out. It "appears" to be moving away. It "appears" to slow down.

Jacqueline Brown, said...

Mindful movement...yup...thats what its about. How powerful to use that is the city of hustle and bustle...Diva-Sage...

Jacqueline Brown, said...

Mindful movement...yup...thats what its about. How powerful to use that is the city of hustle and bustle...Diva-Sage...

Rebecca said...

That's the thought I had too, Mindful Movement. Funny how it's all internal, "racing to keep up" is an internal illusion. That's a great example.

Bo said...

What a gift Lauren to be this aware, especially in NYC. As you listen to your rhythm, embrace it and live in it, imagine what a gift you are giving no only yourself but the place and the people around you. Sweet!