Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Wrong Questions - Missing the Signals

I just sent this to joy in an email and realized i should share it...

ive sort of stopped eating....im not hungry and nothing is satisfying me....i eat only because i think if not im starving myself or ill get really weak ...but its really that i dont know what i want to eat and no cravings...so i wrote what feeds me/ nourishes me on the top of my notes today and im meditating on that....i mean i am hungry sort of but nothing feels good....green juice- greens always work...other than that i dont know....a friend of mine says if your not hungry you just dont eat---and wait and eventually you will something is working out... its sort of a strange belief that if we dont eat we will die or starve...were so used to having to eat or being told to eat that we dont think about what the body needs....im so used to just eating because i guess i should or im bored or its 'lunch time' -i actually i just feel like i could drink some clear protein soup...maybe my body is just needing something light now....?

i think if it was warmer out i wouldnt be having such a problem---ITS SO COLD...oh but thats an excuse... i feel too lazy to make something...or eat...but maybe im just not really listening to my body? imagining its some problem when its just saying rest and drink clear soup and greens!!!!! ok thats what im going to do now....im thinking something is wrong when im just missing the signals....duh.....!!!

so the right question is why am i doubting the signals im getting and why do i immediately assume there must be something wrong? I mean I feel fine...im just not very hungry? so why am i making something out of nothing?

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

What you are describing here sounds familiar to me. So ignore all that follows if I'm missing the mark or not being helpful...

I have a definition of myself when I'm doing well. I happy, busy, working well, not worried about eating, not worried about not eating. I get hungry. I feed myself. I enjoy food. Then I get busy again, and I get tired and I rest. But it's a good tired from being active in life with a project or whatever, it's not listlessness (that's a bad tired).

Anything else, like not interested in eating, causes me concern. It's a signal that something's happening, like I'm bored or a little bit depressed or I'm overwhelmed or something is going on. If I don't feel like preparing food, If I don't want to go to the effort to take care of myself, then it's a problem. And if it gets really bad, all I want to do is sleep. Then I get worried about not eating, and missing signals, and I can't figure out what my problem is. I never worry about missing signals when I'm happy and busy. There is this underlying confusion and discontent. And the truth is I'm "fine". I tell people, I'm fine. I can hide this really well, and I can function in my life, but the truth is I'm off center, I'm not feeling good. I'm really not happy.

I completely agree, that there are times when the body doesn't need, want or shouldn't have fuel. But those times shouldn't be connected to "negative" emotion.

So, I guess my question to you is, it's fine to not be hungry. But are you happy? Is the lack of hunger due to anything other than your body simply doesn't need food right now?

Anonymous said...

good points...i went to a get a green juice and some soup and did feel a lot better...as for happy i actually think that i am this is just foreign to me because im so used to being crazy and active and intense and if im not those things i think something is wrong...i do feel centered and calm and i am working but not crazy busy or crazy hungry or crazy anything...im just really content i guess...thats why it feels so different...ill have to see how this feels in a few days...because i think this is what my center feels like...what i had worked on finding with joy---its a calm place because either side was crazy intense or crazy bored...ill keep you updated...!

thanks for the good questions...

Joy! said...

AND you are really focused on moving forward towards what you want! That's new too. Direction and a plan. What is better than that? It's what any of us really want.