Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Salty Thoughts


The other day I spilled some salt on the counter. I took a pinch and threw it over my shoulder, to which my husband looked aghast at me and said "WHAT are you doing?" I had done it without thinking, instinctively, reflexively. I always have. I think I have. I can't recall, but I did this time.

I said, "My grandmother always did it. And my mother. Didn't yours?" An old English belief was that spilled salt meant future tears-so you throw a pinch over your shoulder so the tears are behind you. My Grandmother was English. I don't think the Italians have the same belief.

Apparently, because I googled it, the French and Germans think that the spilled salt is the work of the devil so you throw the salt to hit him in the eye. The Norwegians felt it meant you would shed many tears, and most felt that it was bad luck. I'm Greek. The Greeks worshipped salt and used it to make friends by eating salty foods with them. Ok so I'm half Greek. I feed people and I throw it over my shoulder for good measure.








No comments: