Tuesday, June 24, 2008

strange happenings

So I went to my storage unit to handle the situation (from the break-in where someone had put another lock on my unit). They were very nice today moved me to a more expensive upper unit even had two guys help move everything even though i kept getting hits that this was an inside job that 2 of those helping me were somehow related with if not on my specific unit then others units. As I was signing papers all of a sudden it hit me - my suitcase was missing from the unit, my suitcase in which I had placed my grandmothers jewelery box filled with jewelry in. At first I was like I am such a complete asshole why would I put that in there. Then I remembered I did because of the work in my apartment. So Im going back tomorrow to file a police report and incident report at the storage place. It has such a creepy energy its really awful. the floor im on is better but how did I not pay attention to this before. I think I was in a rush so I just said screw it Ill do it anyway. I knew when I had checked the space out last tie that something was missing - it was too neat too perfect looking with just one ripped box and a few moved clothes. I asked why would someone go through all the trouble to clip a lock and then not take anything. The whole situation reeks of ick. Any hits you guys get on this issue?

The sad thing is that all the jewelery I had since childhood was in the box. Things my dad had given me, my grandmother, uncle, a friend - all who have since passed. And then there were just a lot of other special sort of things - things that had no real monetary value, just things that are irreplaceable. Im a little sad but Im trying not to harp on it. At the end of the day they are just things. I feel like there is a larger lesson here. Tomorrow Im sure Ill get more of it when I file a report and when I write a formal complaint to the president of the company - a storage company which is all over the city in ads movies etc as being so nyc and so reliable.

In other funny coincidence news tomorrow just so happens also to be a huge meeting in my building to elect new board members and to discuss issues. My neighbor who has had huge issues caught me in the hall the other day and said we need to change this and shake it up its not ok to stand for this kind of behavior and disregard.....so Im hearing a theme here...

2 comments:

Dale said...

Lauren, we are all busy posting on the new BBBU blog. However, I click this one on every once in a while. I recently had a similar experience. We own rental property on the avenues and I had the furniture from my office stored in one of the garages. Nothing really expensive except for a metal bird bath that was an art piece. I used it for a fountain and paid $600.00 for it. Long story, but of our renters felt sorry for a black women who was surviving on the street. Nasty scene when I asked them to move. Threats, police, etc. She finally said if I would let her store her few pieces of furniture in the garage till she found someplace to live, so would go. Guess what, I wasn't there when she came to get her furniture so she took mine too. It is taking a while, but I am letting go. At age 68, I don't have a lot of time to spend on anger, issues, need for change that someone else can do. I keep reminding my self that if there is to be peace in the world, it has to begin with me. Hope we can meet when you move back to SLC

Anonymous said...

thats awful, but its true it is about letting go! life does go on...
hope to meet you too!