Friday, January 16, 2009

Barley Water

This is a biblical recipe.

Barley water is an ancient remedy that was supposed to clear up the complexion and stop the formation of wrinkles. I'm all about that!

8 cups of water
1 cup of barley
pinch of salt.

Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 2 hours. The longer you boil it the thicker the water will be. Strain, and flavor the barley water with honey (up to half a cup), or even raw maple syrup, I'm thinking,
and as you like you can add to the water: cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, lemon, ginger. Try different flavors. Now, these aren't meant to be all at the same time-got it?

You can eat the barley, add it to soup, make it into barley cakes and bake.

So what is it about barley? It's loaded with niacin-B3! Niacin causes a fllush/detox in our system so no wonder it is good for the skin. It's good for gall stones, for the kidneys, for lowering cholesterol-all detox issues right?

The suggestion is to drink 1-2 cups a day, and that it helps speed the fat burning process-again a detox issue yeah?! Sounds good to me! If you try it, let me know what you think of it!

2 comments:

Joy! said...

Ok-I made it last night, and I gotta say it must be an aquiired taste...ew...it's not that it tastes bad, it's just thick, and slick. I don't like slick as a taste feeling.

If YOU don't mind slick, go for it. I'll have to find another way.

K. L. Hallam said...

Found out how to prepare raw. Addied lemon and raw honey. Delish!