Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Trusting Ourselves with Food AGAIN

Why is it so hard to just trust that if we eat natural, organic and whole foods, that our body CAN do what it  is designed to?

Why do we seem to have a basic distrust of ourselves?

I hate to point a finger at mom, but I think as a generation we were raised to be (and our parents too)
on a schedule
obedient
and to ignore and override our natural inclinations, likes and dislikes

We were supposed to poop and pee on demand and not pay attention to need. (the idea of sitting on the toilet for hours waiting? You don't know when you have to poop? But you know, many don't. And if they haven't gone first thing in the morning, they stay home and pace until it happens. Their day is ruined. SO much angst around poops...gotta be the original training imprints!)

We were supposed to eat on schedule and whatever was in front of us and not pay attention to our own wants, likes or desires, and eat it ALL.

We were supposed to sleep on a schedule and not recognize when we are tired or overdone. And every night the same with no variety.

We aren't supposed to ever get sick, need to slow down, or listen to ourselves, and if we do something is seriously wrong. Hey, a cold MEANS you are detoxing. It is a sign of overdone and sometimes it's the only way your body CAN get you to stop)

So is it no wonder that we, as a generation and a nation, are still turning to other people to be the experts of us?

Do you LIKE the green super foods? If you LIKE THEM, and they LIKE YOU your body will let you know.

IF you LIKE, oh, chia seeds for instance, or hemp or sunflower seeds, and they LIKE YOU, then eat them, add them to your food and enjoy,not because they are the new superfood, but because you LIKE THEM. And it agrees with you.

RAW food was and is an effort to get back to nature, back to basics, back to food that isn't over chemicaled and over processed.  It was an attempt to simplify, and the posts from other blogs while good information, never seem to say if they LIKE IT. Just what we should be doing and arguing about who has the best super food. I agree, adding them ALL is overkill. And I don't like gogi berries either much, and I don't like INKA berries at all. Ew. I tried them, and regardless of how good they are for me, I don't eat them. But it's good information, and it's worth trying for yourself. Remember when we all tried maca?!

In doing RAWish I discovered the tastes and smells and textures and joy of food again. We can go over intellectual with Raw, and we will miss the benefit. Eating should be a connection to your emotional body. It should satisfy us all the way through. Our body isn't a machine with food being the fuel. If that's what you think you are missing the vital component!

RAWish satisfies me emotionally and nurtures me. It makes me feel good. I feel listened to and I feel full on many levels. I like the cutting and the tasting, the mixing and the smells. It has become a whole process again of feeding myself inside.

I had gotten to a place where I hated to cook. I was overwhelmed with all the no-lists and all the suggested things I was supposed to be doing and I didn't feel good AND I didn't know why.

I was doing the right things and I wasn't feeling it. And I was also doing the wrong things, and worse yet feeling GUILTY about it.

GUILT is a toxic emotion and for many of us it's linked to food. Think about it.

When I started to simplify my foods, adding juicing, and big raw dishes, more vegetables and got back into raw nuts, seeds, grains and away from processed breads and pastas, my body responded. My sleep improved, my skin improved, my energy improved. I stopped worrying about if I was doing the right thing. When I got rid of the rules, and the restrictions and the beliefs that I had to be on a schedule, I got happy.

That concept if something is good for us, MORE is better doesn't apply. With food, less is better. Too much and our digestive system is overwhelmed. But with raw, consistent is good for us. Grazing. But maybe even that-not for everyone.

Eating when we need to, when we feel hungry, isn't something we were generally raised on. The fear of 'being hungry' is what I most often hear people say when they are switching to more raw. Hunger, REAL hunger-most of us have really never known.

A little hungry-good for us! The LDS culture promotes fasting once a week. I'm not mormon, but you know, it's a dang good idea! AND when they have an issue before them, they fast for 24 hours and then pray on it. ALSO a good idea. Get the belly empty to get more insight.

When we do raw, the body doesn't have to work so hard at digesting. We all felt more light, both inside and above. I'm not saying if you want to be spiritual you have to give up meat. LOL Please. If there is one thing we learned, it's the ISH. It all works.

But filling up with more of other people's rules for you isn't what it's about.  Finding out what really does work for you is. So, get into yourself. Really learn to listen, Pay attention to what feeds you! Not what they say you should be doing.

Get over doing it wrong, and experiment. For goodness sake folks, PLAY! And stop taking it all so seriously. I'm going to make my raw juice now. Celery, Romaine, cucumber, apple, lemon, ginger and a couple of carrots. That's breakfast for me!

No comments: