Friday, April 23, 2010

Juice for Health

3 carrots
1/2 a lemon
1 apple
(what's so green about this...? just wait)

3 stalks of celery
1/2 a head of lettuce
1/2 cucumber
2 leaves of cabbage
2 leaves of kale
1 cluster of spinach
a handful of cilantro
a twig of rosemary
an inch of ginger

I know this has alot of ingredients-I like variety. You definitely do NOT need all of it. The staples are the first 6 ingredients, and then wing it. It's all about experimenting.

People worry about combining fruit with vegetables: the rule doesn't count when juicing. You are juicing folks-juice all digests at the same rate. I have a friend that made wonderful juice with adding pear to her greens, and another made awesome green juice with mango.

I pour mine into two cups with lids and drink one on the way to work and keep the other on my desk for snacks. At lunch I am still full and have a power bar to snack on when I need a bite. I'm feeling high energy and satisfied and am almost ready to give up my coffee after being back on this for 2 weeks. I do also have two soft boiled eggs for breakfast, so it's not all raw for me. But this is a great way to transition into it. The more you have the more you want. I take a few lettuce leaves and some hummus with me for lunch too if I want more to eat. And I always keep an apple in my desk and some raw almonds. Sometimes they are soaked, sometimes not, but I have them there. Those are the staples.

Tips to starting raw:
keep the food handy
Do not let yourself get hungry
Be prepared
Eat any time you feel the urge. without guilt and without a schedule so you can begin to listen to your own body again

I think I'll go make some carrot juice for bedtime.
Night!

No comments: