Thursday, March 19, 2009

How is it better for us?

I'm in the grocery store looking for oatmeal (which I ended up forgetting to buy come to think of it), and I see Quaker has a new "WEIGHT CONTROL" oatmeal. Maple and Brown Sugar. How is maple and brown sugar weight control. but ok, this intrigues me. I look at the side panel and here's what I read-straight off the box:
Fat 3g
Sodium 310 g
Carbs 29 g
Sugar 1 g
Calories 160
Cal fr fat 25

for nutritional panel

I decide to look at Quaker's Maple and Brown Sugar - for regular people, you know? I mean, how do we KNOW that this is for weight control?

Fat 2 g (oops it has LESS!)
Sodium 270 g (oops again it has LESS!)
Carbs 33 g
Sugar 13 g
Calories 160 (how can it be the SAME???)
Cal fr fat 20 (whoa again it has LESS!)

for nutritional panel

Are you seeing what I'm seeing? The 'weight control' oatmeal, specially formulated for those of us fatties watching our weight...has MORE fat and MORE calories from fat, is HIGHER in sodium, and the same amount of calories overall. So less sugar, MORE fat to keep it the same number of calories? Huh? How is this better for us?

If you stick to raw and real and fresh and organic--they can't mislabel. But here's a sad thing. An apple today actually has 15% MORE sugar than an apple from 10 years ago. Genetic engineering? Who knows but that's the science of it. Is nothing sacred???

2 comments:

Jacqueline Brown, said...

If you are planning on using lots of oatmeal go to Costco and get the real thing. Terry cooks it up in advance then just reheats it. He will make enough for maybe three breakfasts.
We wonder why we put on the weight...hidden this hidden that... crazy

Joy! said...

exactly-oh I didn't intend to BUY IT, I was just looking at the marketing factor and the LIES.

WHY is it ok to label lies? Why aren't we demanding that be changed?