Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Turmeric and prostate cancer

Prostate cancer is the number one cancer among American men now and the good news is that the survival rate is raising every year. And it's almost non-existent in East Indian men.

But did you know that that little spice I've been bragging on...turmeric...
has been doing wonders with prostate cancer? I bet you didn't! I didn't. But yes, there was a study of 29,361 men that participated in a study! whole foods

Turmeric and cauliflower. Cauliflower is outstandingly high in Vitamin C.
Because of cauliflower's sulphur, it's a detox agent.

When preparing cauliflower: cut it and let it sit for 5-10 minutes so that the phenethyl isothiocyanates are produced. It stops producing them when heated.

When tested singly, both phenethyl isothiocyanate and curcumin (turmeric) greatly retarded the growth of human prostate cancer cells implanted in immune-deficient laboratory animals. In animals with well-established prostate cancer tumors, neither phenethyl isothiocyanate nor curcumin by itself had a protective effect, but when combined, they significantly reduced both tumor growth and the ability of the prostate cancer cells to spread (metastasize) in the test animals.

This happens to be a great combination, and I just bought a cauliflower. In fact, I looked at it in the fridge a few minutes ago and thought "I wonder what I'm going to do with you?" and now I know!

RAW cauliflower and turmeric salad
Cut the cauliflower into tiny florets and let sit for 10 minutes
Chop:
1 zucchini
1 carrot
1 red pepper
1/2 onion

1/2 cabbage, shredded
garlic 2-3 cloves

marinate in olive oil and balsamic vinegar
add LOTS of: curry and turmeric, salt and pepper.

Add a dry package of crumbled ramen noodles to this before serving if you like

it's better the second day!

Benefits of Turmeric
Turmeric

1 comment:

Joy! said...

I sauted cauliflower, carrot, red pepper, onion and garlic in olive oil, added some vegetable stock, then lots of curry and turmeric.

To my husband's I added some diced cooked chicken we had left over and some jalapeno peppers.

HE LIKED IT! He had 2 helpings and wants me to make it again! A MALE HIT!

It wasn't raw, but it DID get it in him, and I let the cut cauliflower breathe for 10 min before cooking.