Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Living in A Dehydrator

As I'm getting ready to leave for Las Vegas for a few days I realize that the way the weather is there, and here too-it's like living IN a dehydrator! With raw food, you shouldn't heat the food above 105 degrees. That is the temperature there, even at night! So, leaving the food out overnight would do it really. I remember last year when I went in Oct, it was still 115 degrees at 10pm. I felt like I was inside an oven.

And you know, I was! If that heat is too high to cook in-because it kills the live enzymes-wondering what it does to the human body? To our skin, to our hair, to the outside of us, and what about to the inside of us? Our body has to work harder to maintain a core homeostasis. Fevers KILL viruses and bacteria, and cooking food does the same thing.

I made the raw cranberry cookies last night to take with us on the drive and I left them on the counter with a towel over them simply because I crashed and had to go to bed-and this morning they are absolutely perfect. That tells me if we live in a low humidity climate, dehydrator times may really vary. If the recipe calls for 12 hours perhaps we need to experiment? EVEN with simply covering and leaving out overnight.

Come to think of it, I've always dried my herbs by harvesting, washing and hanging them in bundles upside in my laundry room or laying them on clean window screens in the sunshine.

AND I recently cut the rind off of several lemons before juicing and I just put the peel on a tray in the sunshine and in 2 days it was absolutely dry. Who needs a dehydrator when you live in one!

No comments: