Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Buckwheat Crispy Treats

this is a recipe from Kyoko from San Francisco. She was the winner of The Raw Food Worlds contest of the month.

My essential raw food recipe is the 'Buckwheat Crispy' treats I eat as snacks and on my travels. I'm sure a lot of raw food eaters are familiar with this type of simple recipe.
All the ingredients are organic.

2 cups Hulled Buckwheat
1/2 C. pumpkin seeds
1/2 C. sunflower seeds
1/2 C. each of Golden raisins, Goji berries, and Inca berries
optional: seasonal fruits of your choice

Soak buckwheat and seeds in a bowl over night. Rinse it and drain the water. Let them sprout for a day or two as you rinse a few more times in between.

Soak the raisins and berries in a glass jar.

Put the sprouted mixture in the dehydrator for 5 - 8 hours depending on how dry you'd like. They will come out very crispy and crunchy. Offer a small portion to God (I call him, 'Baba'), and put it back in the big batch. Store the mixture in a glass jar.

For enjoying as a morning cereal or afternoon snack, I add the soaked raisins and berries on top, some protein powder, Chlorella, cinnamon powder (about a teaspoon!), some Himalayan salt, a banana or a ripe avocado (both if I am really in the mood) and some chunks of coconut butter. If I wanted to take more liquid in a day, I put warm water and let everything soak for half an hour or more. I mix everything and it looks like a big green goo which tastes more like an ice cream treat!

No comments: