Sunday, December 16, 2007

Hair Trauma


I remember back in the day being so frustrated with NOT getting through to hair people, I decided I just didn't know the right language. I spent an hour or more at a salon and asked the women the right terms for all the different cuts and effects so that I could actually ask for what I wanted..language. I wrote up a little 'hair dictionary' so that the boys could go in and ask for what they wanted.

If you don't have the right word, they create a whole different image in THEIR head than in yours. But isn't that what happens with everything? What's inside 'my' box, and what's inside 'your' box are different. Hence-missed understandings!

It helped a bit. Pictures help more. I always take a picture with me now. There are some great on-line sites with lots of images. I found that looking at the pictures helped ME know what I wanted to. I realized I would often go in without a well-formed idea myself. No wonder I wasn't satisfied...unclear manifesting.

A picture is worth a thousand words... and the person that said that was RIGHT ON!

2hairstyles.com is a good one.

Pro haircut is another I like.

Anyway CA-I LIKED your hair and the color!

3 comments:

CatherineAnn said...

Well, the problem is I have a big calik and it takes extra effort to plaster down my hair when it's shorter. She held up her hand and said here? I said no about two inches longer and then she cut it where she wanted. It really isn't that bad to have a Woody Woodpecker feathered mullet.....Joy I put red henna on my hair which I do every couple of months.

Pam said...

I've always wanted to die my hair brunette or dark auburn. One of these days I'll do it.

Joy! said...

I did that once-or twice-it's a drastic "Oh my God who is that" kinda change so be prepared. I like change though...
I say go for it Pam, we support you!