Thursday, December 20, 2007

Mediterranean Cuisine

Mediterranean means Italian, Greek, well really 14 countries border the Mediterranean...Portugal, Spain, Turkey, but exactly my genetic background and heritage! Whoa! What would happen if I actually let my body have what it's DNA is bread for?

Well, I'd have to address my fear of pasta and bread! That's been deeply instilled. But you know, a true Medi way of eating really is heavily based in fresh and raw veges and fruits, lots of omegas, and red wine! The percentage of grains is small, in relation to the abundance of fresh and cooked vegetables and fruits.

Interesting...

Maybe we want to research and attempt a NEW and DIFFERENT raw-ish this time? Anyone curious? What IS the Mediterranean Diet?
"Common to the traditional diets of these regions are a high consumption of fruit and vegetables, bread, wheat and other cereals, olive oil, fish, and red wine. The diet is often cited as beneficial for being low in saturated fat and high in monounsaturated fat and dietary fiber."

This would definitely take some belief adjustments. I totally believe that when add grains, I gain weight. It puts me straight into the weight watching category-something I've wanted to get away from. But there it is again.

Greeks and Italians eat lots of dates, figs, olives-cool,
Lot's of fish.
Lot's of olive oils vs. animal fat oils.

What about a Mediterranean raw-ish experiment this time? 1 cooked meal-evening-with grains? The two day meals primarily raw?

5 comments:

CatherineAnn said...

This is how I was eating during the raw experiment. It worked great. I felt great and even though I didn't loose much weight, I wasn't gaining. I gain weight, couple of pounds a month if I eat junk and the rawish, which is what I have been doing. Not working so well.

Joy! said...

me too! it's so frustrating.
Ok-I think we also need to change those body beliefs

Jacqueline Brown, said...

Definitely on changing the body beliefs....I am thinking that the no weight loss is still tied to emotions and other sundry of things, because it sure wasn't linked to what we were eating.....

Joy! said...

absolutely. IT was counter-logical. To be eating so light, and NOT releasing weight. But then, we did, all of us dropped weight.

So perhaps it's more about examining our EXPECTATIONS-if we felt good, and we lost weight, and we got off meds etc, and we were sleeping better...why wasn't that enough, and why did we STILL feel deflated with our results and stop?

Pam said...

I'd like more info on the Mediterranean diet and could see me doing the raw-somewhat Mediterranean-style. Are there any websites you've run across?