Thursday, January 10, 2008

Raw Juice Fast

Fasting has been recommended as a healing process. It allows the body to rest. Traditionally, it's been water fasts, which can be debilitating for many and not recommended for more than 3 days at a time. Many do it one day a week, or from time to time, and love it, but often feel weak.

Stanley Burrows lemon/raw maple syrup/water cleanse can also be debilitating for some. It tends to be 10 days. Do not do this if you have any blood sugar issues. While I like it, I also feel deprived when I am on it. But many love it! I like it for 3 days.

But! Raw juice fasting is so easy by comparison! My system feels satisfied, it thrives, and it feels fed and you feel like you have MORE energy.

When you are fasting, your body will "autodigest", which means it will begin to release and 'digest', which is a way to release toxins and mobilize them. That means that you want to exercise so your body can move it out of the lymphatic system and our bloodstream. Exercising and footbaths and sweats all help to support the liver, skin, kidneys and lungs.

Juice fasting doesn't ONLY let your body rest from the effort of digestion, but it also FEEDS your body. Raw juice allows your system to almost immediately take the nutrition in. That means that you are giving your body what it needs in order TO rebalance and detoxify.

We have a minimum fuel requirement of 400 calories a day, and juice fasting will supply that so that the body doesn't begin to break down protein/muscle.

Drinking small amounts of raw juice gives you fewer calories, and may intensify the cleansing symptoms-so drink juice. And remember-we're raw-ISH. If you want to eat something, do. This isn't about deprivation.

You might find your nose running-that's part of the detox. Mine did the first 2 days, and then stopped. I felt the most detoxing yuks on the 3rd day. I did a footbath, pushed myself to go to the club, and drank more juice. It did help. I did also have some cooked spinach with garlic, olive oil and lemon-yum, and a few slices of red bell pepper in the evening.

Woke up feeling good! DID notice though that yesterday the 'fungal fiends' were up and talking, so I had to really work them through. My ears were itchy, my stomach felt bloated, and it's all part of the die off.

Happy juicing to you all!

2 comments:

Jacqueline Brown, said...

For the last two days I have not done the Green Juice, yup, can tell the difference...
I am not at the point that I want to do a Juice fast....

Joy! said...

well, it's sort of like telling yourself you are aiming at 100% raw-

ish

I'm doing 2 large raw drinks a day, and a bit of food in the evening-an egg, some almonds, something to chew. Not really desiring much.

Remember it's not about perfection. You aren't eating that much anyway-I've been with you!