Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Om Mani Padme Hum



I love the sound of this one, and the spinning of the letters-which is traditional.
Lina has been asking me for the meaning of the mantra, and the writing...I've now learnt something new!
The mantra itself can't really be translated, but it hits all the levels

The six syllables purify the six realms of existence in suffering.
For example, the syllable Om purifies the neurotic attachment to bliss and pride, which afflict the beings in the realm of the gods.

Purifies Samsaric Realm
Om
bliss / pride
gods

Ma
jealousy /
lust for entertainment
jealous gods

Ni
passion / desire
human

Pe
stupidity / prejudice
animal

Me
poverty /
possessiveness
hungry ghost

Hung
aggression / hatred
hell

3 comments:

Lina said...

Lina said...
I have no words to explain my feelings.Joy,I love you!I Thank God to have known you! I was, I am and I'll be proud forever to have you as my relative.
I still have to learn a lot of things from YOU!
BACIONI CARI.

CatherineAnn said...

This is very interesting. I will have to ask you how to pronounce the words correctly.

Joy! said...

Ohm
Man-nee
Pad-may
Hum (of some say hung)