Sunday, October 21, 2007

The White Queen

Do you remember The White Queen in Alice in Wonderland? She was a bit mad, remember? I do love her so!

Here's a bit of Alice in Wonderland with the White Queen:


`It's dreadfully confusing!' says Alice.


`That's the effect of living backwards,' the Queen said kindly: `it always makes one a little giddy at first --


`Living backwards!' Alice repeated in great astonishment. `I never heard of such a thing!'


` -- but there's one great advantage in it, that one's memory works both ways.' (says the Queen)


`I'm sure mine only works one way.' Alice remarked. `I can't remember things before they happen.'


`It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards,' the Queen remarked.”

– Alice in Wonderland



“`Oh, oh, oh!' shouted the Queen, shaking her hand about as if she wanted to shake it off. `My finger's bleeding! Oh, oh, oh, oh!'


Her screams were so exactly like the whistle of a steam-engine, that Alice had to hold both her hands over her ears.

`What is the matter?' she said, as soon as there was a chance of making herself heard. `Have you pricked your finger?'


`I haven't pricked it yet,' the Queen said, `but I soon shall - - oh, oh, oh!'


`When do you expect to do it?' Alice asked, feeling very much inclined to laugh.


`When I fasten my shawl again,' the poor Queen groaned out: `the brooch will come undone directly. Oh, oh!' As she said the words the brooch flew open, and the Queen clutched wildly at it, and tried to clasp it again.

`Take care!' cried Alice. `You're holding it all crooked!' And she caught at the brooch; but it was too late: the pin had slipped, and the Queen had pricked her finger.


`That accounts for the bleeding, you see,' she said to Alice with a smile. `Now you understand the way things happen here.'


`But why don't you scream now?' Alice asked, holding her hands ready to put over her ears again.

`Why, I've done all the screaming already,' said the Queen. `What would be the good of having it all over again?'”

–Alice in Wonderland

5 comments:

Bo said...

So that explains it. I have never read Alice in Wonderland. It would take on an entirely different meaning now, 7 years after chosing this road less traveled.

Anonymous said...

yep,
i get this completely...crazy feeling to see the outcome before the incident and be confused on time...its wonky.

Jacqueline Brown, said...

It explains alot, hmmmm.

Pam said...

I must have read that book at least 10 times in my youth - makes me want to read it again! Sounds like management training material, indeed.

Joy! said...

How could anyone NEVER have read Alice??? Wow.

It is the stuff of shamanism wouldn't you say Pam?

Down the rabbit hole...
through the looking glass...