Thursday, March 1, 2007

AFTER CLASS:


I came home to another hour long phone call from my brother wanting to know my memories from our childhood. This is odd for him. I can go a month without a 5 min phone call, and in the last two nights, two hour plus calls.

We are all connected. And after our having just finished class by discussing the school system, and what it does to children-he wanted to talk about his 6 year old son and what the Catholic school is doing to HIM now.

How Nic wants to lead, and they say "Nic is a natural born leader" and THEN they mark him down and say-he needs to learn to follow. My brother says "to hell with that! I WANT to foster that desire to LEAD!"... ahem-not in Catholic school but he's going to have to get to that on his own.

My brother had this AH HA because he has always considered himself a follower-second position. Sounds like me. A family imprint.

I reminded him that at 3,4,5 he WANTED to lead and the family would follow him because he was so sure he was right. He was this sturdy little adamant toughie that would stride off and we would fall in behind him.

The family myth was that he would take us all in the wrong direction. He heard that over and over and over until...you got it...shame and constipation around this situation.

And of course, as he says it, I realize I am the same way. I'm HEARING him say EXACTLY my issue back to me...he is perfectly reflecting, and I am to him. We are in syncopation. He is saying what I need to hear, I am saying what I need to hear, and visa versa!

My father wanted us to be followers-his followers. He would say "When I say run, you run. It could be an emergency, and listening could save your life. Don't you stand there and argue with me!" Very military-for a nonmilitary person. :) We learned to jump. Of course we also resented the hell out of it, and neither of us ever said "Sir yes sir, how high sir!" which would have thrilled and delighted him.

AT THE SAME TIME he would say he wanted us to think for ourselves and be independent.

But the timing on the heels of what we were just talking about is stupendous! We are all so connected!!!
Never doubt that when you work on you, you work on all. THAT'S the sort of thing that is my proof Rebecca. And I collect them as validating evidence. I can't explain it. Divine timing. Absolutely!

No comments: