Monday, May 14, 2007

Maca Cravings

I purchased a small bag of maca at Good Earth and I've been trying a teaspoon each morning. On Saturday I had a cup of coffee with the maca and my reaction was just like the Eveready bunny. By evening I was exhausted from cleaning house, doing laundry, and attending a 5-year-old's birthday party but I still kept going, making me believe that the maca doesn't give you energy so much as it changes the chemical makeup of your brain to make you think you have energy. The next day I again tried the maca and planted 5 flats of flowers, still bone weary. By early afternoon I really started craving carbohydrates, and I don't mean the carbs we get in green vegetables and fruit. I had bread, popcorn (buttered, of course), and even a small piece of lasagne. The question is, are the cravings related to taking maca? Or are the cravings the result of an increase in movement? Or is this typical of a 6-month anniversary of being on a raw food diet?

3 comments:

Jacqueline Brown, said...

You make a good point because I have been taking my Maca tablets and I have been craving the bread, and other foods besides the Raw. So does it increase the cravings for the other foods....research

Joy! said...

more research!

Joy! said...

well maca is 60% carb, so I'm wondering if adding that much carb is setting off the cravings?