Saturday, June 23, 2007

In the Eye

Jon and I went out yesterday and ended up at the zoo. I can see the benefit of observing such magnificent creatures, however, it is such a disservice to their very natures. I kept thinking of "Happy Feet" when he found himself in the zoo-anyone see it? How would we react, I wonder, to being behind glass? Many of the animals simply turned their backs and did their best to ignore us all.



I also found myself so saddened at the faces of the monkeys, trapped behind glass. Two little spider monkeys huddled together, and each time a child screeched, one would spasm and arch his back as if shocked. After having seen them so recently, wild and free, flinging themselves with total abandon, from branch to branch above our heads, swooping down to take a plantano from our hands...this was heartbreaking to me. Looking into the eyes, you can see the intelligence there, the understanding of what is happening, that they are caught.



Birds are a different element, but there were parrots in small cages (small compared to the jungle) and again, I was reminded of their morning calls from the treetops. I was captivated by the magpies, free and happy to grab dropped scraps and climb to a high branch to nibble it. The birds somehow didn't radiate the same sadness that other animals did.



Such pride in their entire demeanor isn't there? Self assurance. The peacock doesn't apologize for a moment. Nature at her finest in all her creations. I could appreciate having the opportunity to see them all there I suppose. But what a travisty to their natural instincts...

I found the snakes fascinating. As usual. And so glad that the Rainforest was friendly to me everytime I have been there. As I watched the snakes, as they were watching me, I thought of what it would have felt like to have one that size drop from a branch. We are so fragile when confronted with the primal energy of this planet.



To be out of right relation...I get why those ceremonies and rituals of respect evolved. Look into her eyes, and see a ruthless sort of power and self control. She says "it's nothing personal"...

2 comments:

Jacqueline Brown, said...

I so agree with you about he Zoo. You can see the depression if you will, in the eyes of the animals. It saddens me. I love the pictures you took.
I imagine it is one heck of a contrast, from seeing them in the Zoo and what you experienced in the jungle.
Its very reflective of the numbed out look we humans can have as well. That we are not choosing to run free and wild in the jungle...lol.

Jacqueline Brown, said...

By the way the bird I saw up in the tree at Wolf Creek was a Flicker.