Sunday, June 24, 2007

Nut Patti Main Course

Well finally I'm slo-cooking again. It's been awhile. I was laughing at myself with Kathy last night because I kept putzing in the kitchen all day, pulling things out, mixing, cutting, then not eating anything but a piece of fruit. Tony just kept shaking his head because I ended up not making a thing that we could actually eat! Last night. But that's the way slo-cooking is...

Today I took out the vege-nut mixture and added edamame and started dredging pattis in flaxseed meal. I did wipe my cast-iron skillet with some olive oil, and put it on the lowest setting, and then put the pattis on the skillet to just warm them a bit for the family. They turned out delish either cool or warmed. I think you could put these in the dehydrator for awhile too.

Here's the recipe:
In the food processor:
1 green bell pepper-seeded
3 carrots, tops taken off
1 onion, quartered
3 stalks celery with leaves
coarse chop until all are uniformly tiny bits.
Put contents into a large mixing bowl

In the food processor:
2-3 c raw almonds
1 c any other nut you have. I used raw cashews, and some raw brazil nuts.
1/2 c hemp seed (seasame seeds, or sunflower seeds would work too)
process until nuts are uniformly tiny
Put contents into the mixing bowl

Add
1 c flax seed meal
1 tsp cayenne (yep, but the veges soak it up and it really isn't too much
1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes
1 tsp fresh chopped parsley
1 tsp fresh chopped oregano
1 c fresh raw edamame
salt and pepper

I let this mixture sit overnight in the fridge, remember. The flavors really were much better today. Last night it was a bit bland. Flax seed meal is a binder, and helps the pattis to keep their shape, so use it even if you don't want to warm them on the skillet. I made pattis, then dredged them in more flaxseed meal just like when you are breading meat for chicken fried steak or something-you know? Worked fine!

You could also use the mixture loose and put it in lettuce leaves as rollups, which had been my original plan.

2 comments:

Jacqueline Brown, said...

SOUNDS VERY YUMMY....

Joy! said...

caught Tony snacking on it this afternoon!