Sunday, February 18, 2007

Almond Milk


CA knows this because she's been making it for awhile for herself and the kids but some of you were asking how to make it.
I made it today and I really liked it, and I love the taste of the skinned almonds now. They are delicious. I realized that in the last 2 weeks one of the things that I seemed to stop doing was eating nuts! Not good. They are our protein source, and a good source for those phytoestrogens.

In 1999 there were 4 studies that all concluded that just a few almonds a day can lower your blood pressure. Almonds have monounsaturated fats, which are the good guys and are loaded in Vit E, and they are higher in calcium than any other nut out there, and they are a phytoestrogen which means our body loves them!

One oz of raw almonds has 66 mg of calcium, which is as much as ¼ c of milk. So almond milk is a great way to get that “dairy” in if you are missing it.

ALMOND MILK
Method:
1 c almonds soaked overnight. Rinse and soak again in boiling water for 5 min or so, then drain and rinse in cold. The skins will slip off.
Add
4 c water and let it sit for a bit, then blend in the food processor until smooth with no grainy texture.
Add a bit of raw honey or vanilla, or maple syrup, agave or even a few dates to sweeten if you wish.

Any nut can be made into a nut milk.
It will last up to 5 days in the fridge.

2 comments:

CatherineAnn said...

I soak the almonds sometimes for days in the fridge. When I'm ready to do a smoothie I soak whatever portion I need in hot water from the tap and then peal. The skin comes off much easier if you put them in water that has boiled and let them soak but I wasn't sure if that would heat them up too much. It does take awhile to peal the almonds, but to me it's worth it because the taste is good and I notice the lack of protien if I don't put them in smoothies.

Joy! said...

Me too! I wondered about "boiling water" too, but I have that hot water on tap so I use that.
I really noticed the difference when I ate nuts the last few days-in my mood! I was pissy...low estrogen, mid cycle, and then adding nuts made a HUGE difference-even Jon noticed. LOL

I added this to tips and tricks -thanks. It works great.