Saturday, February 10, 2007

PENN AND TELLER-WAR ON DRUGS

Ok, they get a bit combative with this, but the idea is: someone else is telling you what is illegal, what you can have, and what you can't. I watched this awhile ago. What's interesting is the big guy says towards the end that he doesn't drink, he doesn't smoke, and he doesn't do drugs himself. But. He still believes it's a matter of choice.

I'm not a big proponent on drugs either. I have great respect for altered states, and substances that achieve that and as a Medical Anthropologist I honor the sacred traditions that have accompanied certain "medicines", and those societies respect and honor the substance. We've lost that. Sad right there.

But! I am posting this BECAUSE it is about thinking in a new way, learning to listen to things in a new way, and damn it, it's about our maintaining our CHOICES for ourselves! This show is also about calling bullshit on things. Hey, that's the name of the show, I'm only quoting.

I admit I hate someone else telling me what's good for ME, based on their opinions and rules. I'm a big girl, and I want to make my own choices. I remember telling my father that at 15. "I'm not stupid. And if I make a mistake, ok. I have to make my own mistakes." He said "Why can't you just LISTEN TO ME and do what I tell you to!" It's that "do what I tell you to" that has always gotten to me. Don't order me around. Suggest it, let me think about it, if I agree, ok.

And, we've been talking about how there is the war on fat, and the war on cancer, and the war on diabetes, and the war on high blood pressure and how those things are INCREASING-and why! Because we PUSH BACK and oppose. Human nature. The very energy of it, increases it. Not decreases it.

They do a really good job on this show of looking at things is a whole new way! :) You might be offended by the bullshit language-but this is a showtime show!

CLICK FOR PENN AND TELLER WAR ON DRUGS

It's about 30 min. And it ends with telling us that the US government actually funded studies for medical mj and actually still have people getting medical mj-paid for by the feds! Hmmmmm Double standard? It DOES have medicinal use, and it's illegal? Oh well, we can name a few other things that have bit the dust that way can't we?

And remember you CAN get medical mj. Pharmacies CAN write perscriptions for it. You can get medical releases to grow your own for health reasons. Why don't they just make marajuana a pharmaceutical, and call it quits, let the big pharmaceutical companies take it over, and it will become as common a substance as willow bark...eer....aspirin. What an idea!

I love it when the guy says he "HAS TO" smoke a maryjane AS he drives to work on the freeway in DC...LOL oh boy...what that does to belief systems eh???

No comments: