Saturday, February 10, 2007

PASTEURIZATION

The raw milk thing has raged ever since I had cows and goats and that is over 35 years ago. The chances of settling it, at least in my lifetime, are minimal.

Raw milk is a living entity. Calves fed only pasteurized milk will die in a relatively short time as opposed to raw milk where they grow to about six hundred pounds in ONE year.

As long as the cows are TB and Brucillosis tested-the state of NH did this every three years for free-then the raw milk is safe to drink. At one time, around the 30's-that's 1930's! Brucillosis and TB were a real problem but with the testing that's done on dairy herds today it is virtually unheard of. We drank it for years and never had any problems. It sure tastes better than milk that has been through the entire process that it takes to heat it, etc.

When my son's class went to the dairy to see how milk is bottled I was struck how much different this was than going out milking, straining it into a jar and sticking it into the fridge I had just for milk!

Raw milk gets sour if the containers are not kept spotless but not rotten like milk that has been pasteurized. I rinsed my jars with Lime Away and then put them through the dishwasher to keep the containers clean. Even sour milk is not harmful to the body! Rotten milk is though...

I tried not impart more info than you want to know! Happy Paths, Romedy

No comments: