Thursday, January 18, 2007

QUINOA and a raw recipe too


Quinoa-is what they call a "pseudo grain". It’s really a fruit! It’s related to swiss chard, beets and spinach. Does that make them really fruit too? No one is saying. Hah! It thrives in high altitudes and low moisture, cold thin air, and hot sun. Sounds like Utah! Well guess what- it was developed in the Andes by the INKA. Go figure!

It’s sort of looks like millet, and grows similar in clusters at the end of long stalks. It’s been a crop in The Andes as far back as 3000 BC. They know it originated in the Andes of south America and there are 1800 varieties of which we have like 3 or 4 here. I think they are working on bringing us 12 so there is lots of room!

There is a quechua name, kinua, chisaya mama. Isn't that cute? As you know, you have all had your initiations into the Qero lineage-which means quechua is the mother tongue!

The INKA considered it sacred and sowed the first seeds with “golden” implements. It is second only to the potato in nutrition as a supercrop. And you know what? The INKA also developed the potato as a crop. And tomato. The Spanish took the tomato to Europe and the Italians adopted it. Wonder what they ate before that? My husband argues vehemently on this point BTW. Do you thnk that the Irish adopted the potato? Hmmmm. Good questions.

It's very high in protein -- 20% !!! That's like 11 grams per cup. Cool! So, guess where we can get our protein from? And quinoa is what MARY uses in her crackers. Compare that number with 7.5% rice 9.9 for millet, and 14 for wheat. The protein is also most similar to milk, and has a complete amino acid balance, no trans fats, no cholesterol, and is light, tasty, AND easy to digest. I tried it and found it yummy! I like it better than rice.
It's:
high is lysine (unlike rice and wheat)
high in methionine, and cystine (soy is low in methionine and cystine)
high in linoleic acid, fiber, minerals, and vitamins
high in iron (ya hoo!)
Vit E, B vitamins
8 balanced amino acids for humans
gluten free easy to digest (did we say that already?)

NASA is considering it for manned spaceflights and we should all be thrilled to note: BYU's agricultural department is studying it.

It's really easy to prepare:
soak for a few hours, change water, resoak, then cook.
Treat it like rice, 2 c water to 1 c grain
simmer low for 15-20 min
until germ sep from seed
can steam in a rice cooker too

It's a high protein breakfast food with honey and almonds and berries
cooks faster than rice-10-15 min. I don't know yet if you could have this instead of oatmeal like Pam's breakfast idea, but we could try it!

I LOVE this stuff, but I didn't add it until after the month marker, so put this on your list to try later or try it raw, or what the hell and eat it if you want!!! I wanted you to have the information. It's nice to add a few handfuls to the all vege soup too when you feel like some substance, and when we get the dehydrator stuff going (I haven't had time to really play yet, more's the pity of that) I'm sure we can come up with some ideas.

If you want it raw, the suggestion is to sprout it.
Quinoa Salad
4 cups sprouted Quinoa
2 cucumbers
1 red and 1 yellow bell pepper
2 tomatoes
4 celery stalks
6 scallions
1 cup cilantro, basil or parsley (optional)
2 carrots, grated or shredded
1 small jicama, grated
4 Tbs. kelp
Chop all salad ingredients fine and put into large bowl. Mix dressing (below) and add to salad. Mix again. Serve.
Dressing:
3 large avocados
1 1/2 cups tomatillo juice or sauerkraut juice
4 cloves of garlic
pinch of cayenne
kelp to taste
cilantro, basil or parsley to taste (optional)

Now this is from Ann Wigmore's site, and it sounds like it makes a HUGE amount, so adjust the ingredients down or feed 9 people Pam! ;)

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I know you guys think I'm nutty because I say I love everything under the sun (except nasty celery green juice without apples), but Quinoa is something I truly love and crave. It is one of my all time favorite foods. I've been eating it for years. You can get it cheap at Kitchen Kneads, there's one in Ogden, 725 W. Riverdale Road and one in West Jordan 7579 South Redwood Road on the east side of the road. Kitchen Kneads is kind of a Mormon Food storage kind of store, but don't let that put you off they are nice people and they have all kind of high quality grains, and nuts (kept in refrigerators) and seeds for sprouting, spices etc, and gagets. Anyway back to quinoa...

Here's the trick to quinoa, it needs to be thoroughly washed before you cook it, if you're going to cook it. It has something on it that is bitter, and if you don't wash it off, you'll taste it. In South America, like in Ecuador, they get a cheaper quality grain which only means that it's not as clean as what gets sent to N. America. I learned how to clean it in Ecuador. You put it in your blender with clear cold water and hit pulse button a couple of times, you'll see the water get all cloudy. Then pour it into a strainer and repeat until the water doesn't go cloudy in the blender. It doesn't take very long, it's easy to do and it's worth it in the taste. It sounds like a major pain in the ass, but I'm telling you quinoa is SO worth it. It's delicious and the nutritional value is through the roof, especially for vegetarians, vegans, raw fooders because of the protein and essential amino acids.

Now, this is a different seed/grain/fruit/whatever than anything you've ever tasted before, but remember that it takes 11 tries before your taste buds adapt to a new taste. And like I said, it's delicious, I love it. Before I went raw, I ate it once a week. I craved it.

Okay, here's another trick to quinoa, cook it in vegetable broth. When it's cooked it looks really cool, if you isolate a single piece, it looks kind of transparent with a little tail that curls around it.

Okay, so there's my testimonial of quinoa for you. I've not had it sprouted so I can't even comment on that, but it's sure good cooked. I agree with Joy, it's better than rice!

Joy! said...

That little curly tail you mentioned-that IS the sprout! It's so nutritious because it sprouts as it cooks. It is alive!

Wild Oats and Good Earth have boxed quinoa that only needs to be rinsed. It's probably a bit more expensive though.

Better for you than rice-and I am thinking we could subsitute quinoa for rice if you make sushi because it's sticky...that gives me ideas!

I got rid of my sushi rollers-damn damn damn. That keeps happening to me. I bought stuff before was ready for it appartently!