Tuesday, January 2, 2007

RAW SUNFLOWER SEED PATE

As per Rebecca's request here's the nut pate I made with sunflower seeds:

1 1/2 C raw sunflower seeds, soaked for min of 2 hours. 4-6 is better. Remove the chafe that floats.
5 cherry tomatoes, or 1 sm tomato
1/2 inner tender stalk of celery-w/o leaves which tend to be bitter
1/4 onion, peeled and quartered
juice of 1/2 lemon, lime works too
1-2 cloves garlic
1/4 green bell pepper, seeded and quartered
hot chili flakes
cayenne pepper to taste
2 TBS olive oil
cilantro, salt, pepper

drain the nuts.
Put the tomatoes and 1/2 the nuts in the processor, and coarse pulse chop, then add rest of ingredients
blend until it is a pate consistency.
Refrigerate if you have time to let the flavors mature while you cut veges up and wash your lettuce.
I put this on romaine leaves with chopped tomatoes that I had marinated a bit in basalmic vinegar.
I also sprinkled on some whole sunflower seeds for crunch.

We used the rest as a vege dip on the drive home with sliced green zuccini, and cucumber, and baby carrots.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Thank you! I have all the ingredients except the cilantro, I'm going to try making it anyway.

Joy! said...

This was very good with the cut up veges because both T and I like to dip. It makes a great anytime snack. I like to stir in some cayenne too for some punch. The cayenne is so so healing for our intestinal tract too. I'm glad you like it. And you can use any other spice you have. Parsley works, oregano would too.