Thursday, January 11, 2007

Should I be supplementing

The question came up in class last night, in response to a comment I made about reading that Vegans and Raw Foodists in the US tend to be more healthy than in the UK or Europe, and that the premise was that we supplement more here.

When this question was posed Lauren and I both said "Yes" automatically, and we then all had a discussion to which Pam said "Aren't we going to get our nutrients from all this food? And again I heard myself say "yes!"

So which is it? Supplement or not? As we played with that, it comes down to being all about what we FEEL from our bodies telling us. Listening to our bodies. Not the articles, not the research. I can post research about the amazing things that certain fruits and seeds and living foods do for us, and ultimately we listen to our bodies and know that if we find that goji berries taste wonderful, so be it.

Kathy said it when she was loving the raw coconut and said "Wow, I must really be needing something in this because it tastes WONDERFUL!" Yep. The body responds right back to us with grateful THANK YOUS.

I mentioned that I added some calcium because my legs told me to, and I'm not getting enough greens I know. So, I want to make a point of that in the next few days. I ate at Omar's last night, and woke feeling amazing! It's because of the greens.

Lauren mentioned drinking raw egg yolks because of a dream, and noticing that when she followed through with that she felt better.

That's your engagement with supplements. Ask your body and listen. Notice if you start craving coconuts suddenly, or avocados, because it may well be your body craving nutrition. We have been trained to not trust our body, or its cravings, and we want to start eating naturally.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I THINK I FINALLY GET IT!!! Yes, I'm shouting for joy! Seriously, I finally get this craving thing. I thought I had to sit around and wait for a food item word to pop into my head of what I should eat. My friend, a long time vegetarian, said she would go days with out any protein, then all of a sudden she craved a little bit of nuts or tofu and it satisfies her and her body is happy again. She goes for a little while without veggies and she has a screaming need for fresh vegetables. I have another friend who wakes up thinking about carrots and knows she needs that. Well, that's how I thought it was supposed to be for me. And it never ever was that way. Every time I was hearing these stories, the only food that popped into my head was ice cream, maybe I would crave cramel ice cream instead of cookie ice cream, but that was the extent of it.

But what Joy said made it click for me, "if we find that goji berries taste wonderful, so be it." Ahhh, if they don't taste good, it means the body needs/wants something else, not goji berries at that time. RIGHT? Because sometimes they taste good, sometimes they don't. I kept waiting for words to pop into my head. I kept waiting for my mind to say, "I'm craving collard greens" ... or whatever. And sometimes collard greens taste SO GOOD! I think I'm finally getting the hang of this craving thing. I don't get words in my head, but my tongue definitely has an opinion on what's needed at the moment. (I'm grateful my mind isn't saying "Ice cream, ice cream, ice cream, we want ice cream!!!" anymore.) Thank you Joy for helping me to understand that.

Joy! said...

Glad to be of help! It's about truly listening to the body. Listening and responding. Feeding her exactly what she wants-within the parameters of rawish.