Saturday, April 7, 2007

Chez Panisse School Lunch Initiative

Here is a link to the school lunch initiative. The chef at Martin Luther King threw out 4-day-old pizzas and was thrilled saying that they USED TO make 40 pizzas a day. What does this mean to her? It means the KIDS are making healthier choices because they are offered healthier choices. The new Initiative has been in place since 2004-so not long.

I do believe that given the choice the kids will WANT healthier foods. I am really feeling like PC is the perfect place to start the raw food initiative here...anyone else feeling this or is it just me?

This could be a great research project, and a start to the green juice smoothies. If we could get kids to LIKE THEM and WANT THEM, don't you think that that would be great news making?

Can't wait for our meeting!

1 comment:

Jacqueline Brown, said...

I love the concept. I printed out the 28 page curriculum. I really like it and yes, PC might be the place. Only question is the short growing season up there...Some schools have greenhouses for the science department, is that possible there? I will bring this to our meeting.